Horses

Paul K. Manansala kabalen at MAIL.JPS.NET
Sat May 9 18:50:52 UTC 1998

 "N. Ganesan" <GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU>
wrote:

> To an outsider, horse looks important in ancient Persia.

It depends on what you mean by important. I'm not denying the existence
of horses. These were also found in Semitic, Chinese, Japanese and
other cultures. What I'm saying there is no evidence that horses were
ever central to IE material culture.  The whole argument here seems
to revolve around the presences of horses in India suggesting
migration of IE peoples.

However, there are many other possible explanations for horses in
India. And horse culture does not equate to Indo-European.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala