Horses

Peter J. Claus pclaus at HAYWIRE.CSUHAYWARD.EDU
Thu May 7 15:23:20 UTC 1998

Members,

Returning to the horse discussion,

Georg v S. seems to make a reasonable point here. I don't see why he
should have to "explain this high position of the horse in other >
Indo-European cultures.  Preferably not Scythian ones as there has >
always been some argument over whether the Scythians were truly IE.  >
What part did the horse play in Greek or Persian culture? "

On the other hand, it would not seem unreasonable that there might be
little representation of the horse generally in India for a long time to
come if our primary written sources are texts such as the Rg Veda (or for
that matter ANY of the early Skrt texts) which only represent a very small
minority of the population.  It seems to me to expect otherwise would be
to expect that there was a flood of Aryans who invaded the region.  It
does not seem likely that that was the case.

Peter Claus