database announcement (forwarded from SARAI)

David Magier magier at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue May 5 02:03:19 UTC 1998

The following announcement is being forwarded to your listserv or
mailing list from SARAI. Apologies for any cross-posting. Note that
the BAS is the Bibliography of Asian Studies, and the online cumulated
database contains very extensive South Asia indexing. Please contact
John Campbell and the addresses listed below for any further
information.

David Magier
SARAI

Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:20:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Campbell <jccamp at umich.edu>
Subject: BAS up for demonstration

Dear Asia librarians,

  The AAS is happy to announce that the on-line BAS is now available for
demonstration.  Please point your browser to

http://bas.umdl.umich.edu/b/bas/demo/

This demostration will be open for use by anyone until the end of May.
AFter that, libraries interested in subscribing may request additional
demonstration time (to be provided by password).

  Pricing information is available on the AAS home page at

http://www.aasianst.org/bassub.htm

An order form and dract licensing agreement will be posted there shortly.
We are currently looking into whether subcriptions via agents is
appropriate.

  Comments and suggestions from Asia librarians about the BAS
on-line are welcome   Anything regarding subscriptions should be addressed
to me (jccamp at umich.edu).  Remarks and questions about the BAS itself and
how it workdsw should be sent to bas-note at umich.edu, and we will respond
in due time.

  Finally, please note that although the BAS is fully functional,
including the on-line documentation, there are still some errors in the
data and other difficulties that we are working on.  We hope most will be
fixed by July 1 when it officially goes on-line.

  I hope you will enjoy using the BAS this month, and will consider having
your institution subscribe.

Sincerely, John Campbell
  John Creighton Campbell, Prof. of Political Science, University of
Michigan, and Secretary-Treasurer, Association for Asian Studies.
University address: Corner House, 202 S Thayer St, Ann Arbor MI
48104-1608.  Tel 734 998 7558; Fax 734 998 7982.
  Traveling until early July.  Address from May 1-June 22:  2-19-30-202
Mita, Minato-Ku, Tokyo 108-0073. Telephone +81 3 5476-9453.  Fax to same
number (but may have to call first) or to 3225-4828 (some delay). Email ok
for most of the time I am away.