Origin of Konkan Brahmins?

Anshuman Pandey apandey at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sat May 2 02:31:58 UTC 1998

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Harish Kumar wrote:

> As Indologists you must be aware of the Konkan Brahmins who have
> lighter skin and green/gray eyes unlike the other brahmins in India. Is
> there currently any theory that explains this difference?

> From what I recall reading in M. A. Sherring's "Hindu Tribes and Castes"
(or was it elsewhere?) there is/was controversy surrounding the origin of
the Konkanastha brahmins. I believe Sherring mentions that they are
of Turko-Iranian origin and managed to supplant themselves in the
region as administrators and brahmins.

I remember reading about these Konkanasthas about five years ago when I
was assisting a friend in researching his kula-v.rttaanta. Permit me to
dig up my notes and get back to you on this.

Another question: What is the relationship between the Konkanasthas and
the Deshasthas? Is it amiable or one of hostility?

Regards,
Anshuman Pandey