Telugu history

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Fri May 1 03:16:14 UTC 1998

*  When I said "works", I had specific pieces in mind, not the whole
*corpus of writing in Tamil. Kamil Zvelebil for example,("Smile of
*murukan") gives us an analytical break up of Tamil vs Samskrt words in
*the poems of aruNagirinAtar, the 14th/15th century Tamil poet. He
*specifically quotes two verses ( one of which starts as "nAta pintu
*kalAti namO nama") in which more than 50% of the words are Samskrt. I
*believe that this is a very generic feature of aruNagirinAtar's works.

      Of the 1400+ tiruppukazs, some use many sanskrit words,
      many use a good mixture of both tamil & sanskrit, many use
      exclusively tamil. tiruppukaz were edited by a father-son
      team. Many more mss. have come to light since their days,
      awaighting to be printed.

*  We also have the savant and grammarian cuvAminAta dEcikar, who
*supports writing in a samskrtized style; though he himself was from the
*17th-18th centuries,I think that the works used by him in order to
*formulate his views date back to the 12th-14th centuries.

     Yes. C. Tecikar was a heavily sanskritized person. I would
     like to know the 12th-14th century works he used. In the
     overall corpus of tamil writings, heavily sanskritized
     works do not dominate.

*  Lastly, I have read this statement in the works of Dr M.VaratarAjan2
* who lists( from what I remember) tamil zrIvaiSNava works where
*over-Samskrtization is a feature. (I unfortunately donot remember the
*names of the works he lists).

     I thought I said the same thing in my original posting:
"May be in a few Jaina works like mErumantira purANam or
the ubhaya vedAnta tradition of Srivaishnavas. Here, ubhaya-twofold
refers to both Tamil and Sanskrit traditions. Srivaishnavas
wrote beautiful commentaries on aazvaar paasurams quoting
extensivily from sanskrit material bringing out inner nuances
and philosophical contents of aazvaar bhakti. The aims here are
different: 1) to explain Jainism in tamil 2) to spread
aazvaar bhakti northwards respectively."

 Yours,
 N. Ganesan