Origin of retroflexion in IA

Paul K. Manansala kabalen at MAIL.JPS.NET
Sat Mar 28 02:19:41 UTC 1998

 "Dominique.Thillaud" <thillaud at UNICE.FR>
wrote:

> >By the same token, are those who try overly hard to deny
> >"substratum"influences showing interest in language"purity"?
> >
> >Paul Kekai Manansala
>
>         I don't have any interest in language "purity". As other ones, my
> mother tongue is a marvellous mixing of an ancient evolution and of words
> coming from everywhere in the world when their meanings were needed.
>         I'm not racist, nor nationalist; on the contrary!
>         I don't deny "substratum" influences nor borrowing of words.
>         I just criticize those who use the notion without any proof, just
> to mask their ignorance.
>         Reading an etymological dictionnary, I prefer to read "unknown"
> than "XXX loan word" without any serious analysis of the phonetical
> ajustment and of the historical circumstances.

Then, you would be very careful to suggest loan words in other
languages also?

Do you think the suggestion that retroflexion in IA is of foreign
lacks serious analysis?

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala