Indo-Aryan migration vs Indigenous origin - scholarly debate

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Fri Mar 27 13:14:05 UTC 1998

>Another question (out of curiosity): why "Eurindian" instead of
>Indo-European?
>Miguel Carrasquer Vidal

        This personnal neologism was early polemical, an answer to a German
scholar defending "indogermanisch" with the argument: "too much hiatus in
*indoeuropaeisch!". Hence, I suggested Eurindian, eurindisch, eurindien,
evrindikos, &c. as a simple alternate solution, just refering to the two
subcontinents. There was also a funny hommage to the Indian brothers, their
part becoming the more stressed in this new compound, fitting well against
the English colonization and, for the old Frenchman I am, against the
well-known "ueberalles".
        But all this is past. Today, I've just one answer: SHORTER!
        Regards,
Dominique

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France