Origins of the Caste in Ancient India

winnie fellows winnie.fellows at UNIKEY.COM.BR
Wed Mar 25 12:34:14 UTC 1998

<sudheerbirodkar at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

 The word caste itself is derived from the
>Spanish word 'Casto' which means pure or chaste. In the Indian lexion
>we refer to caste by the words 'Varna' meaning colour and 'Jati' which
>is derivedfrom the
>root syllable 'Ja' which means 'to be born'.

Thanks for the elucidative remarks regarding the meanings of
the Indian lexikon, for we probably didn't know that until now,
but as for the word cast its etymology is Portuguese, *casta*.