Software for scanning of Indian rarities?

Claude Setzer cssetzer at MUM.EDU
Thu Mar 19 20:03:24 UTC 1998

Good points, but remember that voice recognition coupled with powerful
artificial intelligence is very trainable....far more trainable I think than
the best text recognition systems that I have seen. Also the human voice can
be far more consistent than the many font faces available....almost
unlimited. Even in English using the best of quality fonts, can be beyond
the capability of the best OCR. Scanning a real book is another problem
altogether. The speaker can compensate for many of the problems of the
printed text.

I don't know how soon this will be available but I believe that voice
recognition has more potential than OCR.
I also am not advocating even the possibility of universal untrained voice
recognition, but the use of a carefully trained and practiced human speaker.
There is really no possibility to "train" a specific text, especially an old
one. With OCR you can train only the software, not the "speaker."

Claude Setzer