science topics

Alok Kumar kumar at OSWEGO.EDU
Fri Mar 6 16:26:17 UTC 1998

I am a new member to this list.  I teach a course on the contributions of
various ancient civilizations to science at the State University of New
York, Oswego.  I have seen many science textbooks that indicate that the
place-value notations, zero, and the trigonometric function "sin" were
originated in India.  However, I have not seen any recent article that
provides primary references.  Almost all articles provide secondary
references. I would appreciate any help on this issue.

Alok Kumar
Department of Physics
State University of New York
Oswego, NY 13126.