Indo-Aryan invasion

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at MATH.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Wed Mar 4 20:48:49 UTC 1998

Palaniappa <Palaniappa at AOL.COM> wrote:
> What about place names ending in Ur or pura/pur? What do the IA experts think
> of -pura?

The stuatus of puur is controversial. It seems to have cognates outside
India, in Lithuanian etc.

uur is unlikley to be of IE origin.

There is another problem in language contact situations: The meaning of
similar sounding words in different langauges can be influnced by one
another. This is why ``this in IA and Dravidian. so IA borrowed it
from Dravidian'' are too facile. This is precisely what the problem is in
discussions of retroflexion. I will expand on this when I get time,
may be tomorrow.

Regards
-Nath