Scientific Credentials (was Re: Tamil words in English)

Tue Mar 3 04:40:55 UTC 1998

>It is probably generally more common, however, for people to brandish
>"scientific" degrees or achievements as proof of sound judgement.
I agree, but isn't this is a reflection of a broader social trend of our
times, where to be "scientific" is to be certain, in an almost religious
sense?

This is,
>unfortunately, not always the case.  Even a Noble price in chemistry
says
>nothing about someone's ability to discuss Indological matters.

Or Vitamin C, with apologies to Pauling.

> And I have
>seen many physicists (and other scientists) become followers of
different
>gurus and take for granted the wildest assertions about Indian history,
>philosophy, religion, lingustics,...

loko bhinnaruciH .....

Vidyasankar