HTML formatted papers via Indology?

John Smith jds10 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Mar 2 09:58:36 UTC 1998

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Rolf Heiner Koch wrote:

> Does anybody know if the Indology-server accepts HTML-messages?  For
> example to send a paper with HTMLinks in order to facilitate the reading
> of such papers for all members?  Are the emails restricted absolutely to
> text-format?  Any members I contact by their personal email-adress
> receive HTML-emails easily.  Mfg RHK roheko at msn.com

Not all of us read our mail through Netscape 4 (or whatever HTML-aware
product you are using). Receiving HTML messages is a big pain if your mail
client can only display them as text. Of course you can attach a document
in HTML format (or indeed any other format) to your message, but in doing
so you are restricting the readership to people with "appropriate"
software. Plain text is still safest.

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html