REtroflex sounds

T.I. Console info at TICONSOLE.NL
Tue Jun 23 18:49:25 UTC 1998

Lars Martin Fosse wrote

>Hock also seems inconsistent when he insists upon the relevance of
>retroflexion in Norwegian and Sicilian, etc.[where retroflexion seems
>allophonic rather than structural, as Jacob Baltuch has observed ],

Why do people always mix up the islands Sardinia and Sicily? Because of the
greater television impact of the latter? Sardinian (sa limba sarda) and Pugliese
were the retroflexe candidates.

>At the risk of repeating myself (I am not sure if I have commented upon this
>before): retroflexion in spoken East Norwegian is not allophonic.

And as regards Sardinian, maybe the double .d.d is indeed allophonic, but
the .n.dh combination is not.

Sandra van der Geer

Dr. A.A.E. van der Geer
Boerhaavelaan 98