English retroflexion

George Thompson thompson at JLC.NET
Sun Jun 21 00:34:59 UTC 1998

In defense of Jonathan Silk:

Isn't it true, though, that native speakers tend not to notice such
phonetic features of their own language, insofar as they operate with a
phonemic system that does not recognize the feature as phonemic? Whereas
non-native speakers [as we all are when it comes to Sanskrit, for example]
are very acutely aware of such things, insofar as they are
language-learners [second language acquisition is a more conscious process
than first language acquisition].

There is also he influence of the writing system, which in the case of
English, of course, does not recognize retroflex phonemes [or phones, for
that matter].

Also, recalling the examples of retroflexion from East Norwegian and
West Swedish which Lars Martin Fosse cited on the list a few months ago, I
wonder how cogent this "minimal pair" is, since it is derived from two
different languages [or dialects]. Can such minimal pairs
[retroflex-dental, or retroflex-alveolar, etc.] be cited *within* the same
dialect? In other words, it is still not clear to me that there are many
languages outside of the Indic linguistic area in which retroflexion is
*phonemic*.

Any help from the list's comparative linguists?

Best wishes,

George Thompson