Stomach/womb in Dravidian and -y-/-c- alternation

Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD jlc at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Mon Jun 15 08:50:55 UTC 1998

Dear Palaniappan,

with all due respect to your expertise
on Classical Tamil literature,
I fail to see how a verse from a medieval poet
(what is your date for kampan2?
 9th century? 10th century? 12th century?)
can be taken as a proof (or an argument inside a proof)
that two words are related? [vayiRu and vai]

IMHO, what we see here in these lines
is not an etymological explaination
but an example of moon2ai,
i.e. a kind of alliteration between the first syllable of the line
and the first syllable of some other foot in the same line.

As regards your conclusions, I have no opinion of my own
 ["7. What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence"]

Best wishes

-- Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD

A 17:02 14/06/98 EDT,