yoga-paTTa

jonathan silk jonathan.silk at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 14 17:34:59 UTC 1998

>Probably you can check the Jataka 547: Vessantara
>is also sitting before his hut and wearing thuch a
>thing. It is also shown in Sanchi. Vessantara, the
>king, who gave all away, also his 2 childs and
>finally his wife. Then Indra appeared and he got
>all back. In the PTS-dictionary there you may find
>sv paTTa the term AyogapaTTa.
>Check please Coomarasvami, Bulletin of Madras
>museum, s. v.: He seems to mention the term.

CPD sv AyogapaTTa:  bandage, strip of cloth, referring to AyogapallatthikA
(skt. paryastikA), refers to Lueders, Bharhut und die buddh. Lit (AKM XXVI
3), p. 5, and Coomaraswamy, La sculpture de Bharhut (Annales du Musee
Guimet, Bib d'art, nouv. ser VI), fig 202.

Apologies if this repeats what has already been said -- I haven't been
paying much attention to this thread.

Jonathan SILK

****Note New Email Address***:

jonathan.silk at yale.edu