Search for 2 Bengali books

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon Jun 8 18:17:13 UTC 1998

I am looking for a patron for a copy of the following Bengali language book
on Bangladesh politics which does not appear in the Library of Congress
catalog, or Accessions List, or the Bangladesh National Bibliography (at
least I haven't found it there yet), or OCLC.  I told the patron that I would
make a broadcast in case someone owned a personal copy or knew of the
book otherwise.

Shaikh Mizanur Rahman, 1956-
Bangalira Mon, Bangalira  Bhasha.
Dhaka, 1972
The book is a parody of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's Bangladesh, My
Bangladesh, published in Delhi by Orient Longman in 1972.

The other request is from another patron.  She has reason to suspect that
a Bengali version of the autobiography of the American revolutionary leftist
Agnes Smedley, who was involved in politics in both India and China,
entitled Daughter of Earth, may have been published.  I have been unable
to locate any such thing after searching catalogs of Bengali libraries and of
translations into Bengali.  I have asked the patron to search Index
Translationum for herself.  I am not asking anyone to hit the books to find
this but if anyone happens to know of the book or to have a personal copy,
could they please contact me?

Thanks,

Allen Thrasher
Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Southern Asia Section
Asian Division
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4714
tel. (202) 707-3732
fax (202) 707-1724
email: athr at loc.gov

The opinions expressed do not represent those of my employer.