Kannada vacanas

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji swamiji at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Jun 2 17:08:14 UTC 1998

Dear Dr Krishna,

The original Kannada text of the Vacana which you wanted to know is as follows:

"haavaaDiganuu muukoratiyuu
tanna magana maduvege shakunava nooDalu hoohaaga
idirallobba haavaaDiga muukoratiya kaNDu
shakuna hollemba cadurana noDaa
        tanna sati muukorati, tanna kaiyalli haavu,
        taanuu muukoreya.
        tanna bhinnavanariyade anyaranemba
        kunniyaneenembe kuuDala-sangama-deevaa?"

A revised translation by me:

A snake-charmer with his noseless wife
- A snake in his hand -
Went to find the horoscope for
        The marriage of their son,

        He saw coming from the opposite direction
Another snake-charmer with his wife - also noseless.
"Bad Omen, Bad Omen" he cried
And went running home!

Look at the foolish fellow !
        His own wife is noseless
        In his own hand, a snake,
        Himeself had a cut nose !

O Lord KuuDala Sangama,
        What shall I say of the cur
        Who, heedless of his own defects,
        Points to the faults of others ?

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji
Sri Taralabalu Jagadguru Brihanmath   * Taralabalu Kendra
Sirigere - 577 541, Karnataka, India     * 3rd Main Road, 2nd Block
Email: swamiji at giasbg01.vsnl.net.in     * RT Nagar, Bangalore - 560 032