double accusatives

Edeltraud Harzer Clear eclear at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Jul 16 23:22:28 UTC 1998

I have not been watching the double accusative discusion, sorry if I have
missed
something, but I wanted to make a comment on the following:

Jan Baltuch wrote:
>Sorry if this is obvious but I don't understand this. Why two direct objects?
>
>If you took as the basic analysis 'he makes/causes [Rama to see the book]'
>where the whole clause 'Rama sees the book' would be the direct object and
>Rama
>the subject of that clause, where would there be two direct objects?
>
>(Or, to stay closer to the Sanskrit, something like 'he CAUSATIVE [Rama
>sees the book]'
>becoming 'he makes-see [Rama -- the book]')

The causative *darzayati* with the well-established meaning "shows,"
behaves like a simple verb
and takes two accusatives OR an accusative and a genitive of reference
(in the case above *rAmasya*).

Edeltraud Harzer Clear
Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin