Indian pancake

Avinash Sathaye sohum at MS.UKY.EDU
Thu Jul 9 19:37:33 UTC 1998

Edeltraud Harzer Clear wrote:

> Dear Professor Thillaud,
> I believe the word you are looking for is:
> roTI or roTIkA > which is a flat bread on the style of pita
> bread rather than a pancake.
>
> best,
> Edeltraud Harzer Clear
> Asian Studies
> University of Texas at Austin

As already noted, roTikA is not quite a pancake but unleavened bread.
I found the wordfor pancake to be "ghaavana (m.)" in a book called
nighaNtaratnaakara.

This book is not a classic, since it was published in 1867, but claims to
consolidate old books. It contains a description of properties of
various materials (edible or not!) as well as details of Ayurveda -
both diagnosis and treatment. It is in Sanskrit with Marathi
translation.

For some strange reason, it also contains detailed recipes for
cooking! I can supply more details
if needed. The original author was one Vaidya V. V. Godbole.

P.S. Monier Williams does not give any word but a descriptive phrase -
probably coined by himself. The word ghaavana is certainly in use in
Marathi even today! It is possible that the
author might have Sanskritized it, but I will let other experts decide
on the origin.

--
|Avinash Sathaye Phone:(606)277-0130(Home), (606)257-8832(Office) |
And now, the next thought is from our CPU ...

Jone's Motto:
        Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.