Indo-Kafiri-Iranians

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at MATH.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Wed Jul 8 18:58:02 UTC 1998

> 1)  Is there a reliable? chronology for the separation of the Dardic
> and Nuristani/Kafiri languages from those of Indo-Iranian ?

I have no answers to the actual questions, but
I thought that Dardic (Kashmiri etc.) are considered to be IA, while
Nuristani is considered to be the third branch (though dissenters
can be found. Szeremenyi, for one, who quotes an unpublished thesis
by Nelson to say that Nu. are closer to IA and then argues that
Iranian-like elements are due to contact.)

Is this a mistaken impression?