northwestern region?

Ghanshyam Sharma sharmave at UNIVE.IT
Tue Jul 7 14:36:19 UTC 1998

At 11.41 02/07/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Gaur bAhIkaH is taken as a derogatory comment meaning:  "The bAhIka (or
>>bAhlIka, a resident of the northwestern region of this name) is [stupid
>>like] a bull."  This is often cited as an example of gauNI lakSaNA.

Forgive me for just adding something that might be of interest to someone:

"Gaur bAhIka" is an example of "PrayojanavatI gauNI lakSaNalakSaNA sAropA"
(a sub division of gauNI lakSaNA) and has been discussed in KAvyaprakAS'a
by MammaTa. The common belief (?) is that the word "vAhIka" was used to
refer to the people of Afghanistan because they didn't believe in the Veda.