[Q] "I love you" (in Sanskrit, Tamil, etc.)

Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD jlc at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Sat Jul 4 17:48:12 UTC 1998

Dear colleagues,

while reading one KuRaL distich that contains
the love utterance <<vERu allam>>  "we are not distinct",
I had the feeling that a possible unsophisticated translation
(for a 20th century reader ...)
might be "I love you". I don't think the lover should be
made into a philosopher saying "there is no duality
between you and me!".

So the question is:
 are there similar ways of expressing love feelings
 in sanskrit literature?

-- Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD (Paris)

P.S. The story runs as follows:
  1. He says to her <<vERu allam>>
  2. She believes him
  3. They are separated and she suffers

P.S. (2) The original KuRaL (1209) says (in Tamil):
 viLiyum en2 in2 uyir,
 "vERu allam" enpAr aLi in2mai ARRa nin2aintu