The Cat

Mary Storm umadevi at SFO.COM
Thu Jan 29 00:08:15 UTC 1998

Dear Leonard Zwilling,
I don't know if you are concerned with modern attitudes towards cats,
but I offer this, which might be helpful.
In modern India cats are considered unclean, or maybe I should say
"polluted" (probably because they clean themselves with their own
saliva). Because of this cats are often regarded unfavorably in modern
Indian society. Hindus rarely seem to have cats as pets, Muslims more
often. The Prophet was himself a famous cat lover.
A humourous Hindi short story about a wily cat and it's inadvertant
"murder," and the complicated penances engendered, might be apropos and
fun for you to read, the story is called "Penance," and is by Bhagavati
Charan Varma.
Cheers,
Mary Storm