Vedic sacrifice

Chris Beetle bvi at AFN.ORG
Mon Jan 19 17:40:45 UTC 1998

At 11:50 PM 1/18/98 -0600, you wrote:
>While there is no shortage of eulogies to water/aapas in the Vedic
>material, and its ritual purification role is well-attested, I am curious
>as to any mythology and liturgy as regards offerings of water--how are
>they performed and under what circumstances?

In Bhagavad-gItA 9.26, Lord KRSNa recommends offering a leaf, flower, fruit,
or water (toyam) to Him in devotion.  Consequently, in KRSNa temples, the
KRSNa Deity is offered water with His meals several times a day, and in
addition, on the altar there is covered container of water near Him, usually
to His right side.

>thanks in advance, and Happy Martin Luther King Day to those folks knowing
>of it!

It is also the disappearance anniversary of GauDIya VaiSNava saint, Locana DAsa
ThAkura, who wrote celebrated devotional songs.

I hope this is of some help.

Chris Beetle