Shankaracarya of the North

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Jan 19 11:15:34 UTC 1998

I may be out of date, but I believe there are two acaryas who claim to
hold the Northern Sankara gadi:

The first lineage goes Brahmanandasarasvati -> Santanandasarasvati ->
Visnudevanandasarasvati.

The other one goes Santanandasarasvati -> Svarupanandasarasvati.

Svarupananda is simultaneously (or was for some time) the incumbent of the
western gadi in Dwaraka.

There is much more detail to this than the simple lineages above would
suggest.  Perhaps someone else who is more up to date than me would like
to elaborate?

All the best,
Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk        Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk      183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England