linguistic & mathematics

Sn. Subrahmanya sns at IX.NETCOM.COM
Mon Jan 19 04:28:48 UTC 1998

Dear Ms. Thillaud:

You struck the nail on the head with your following statement
"All other sciences, even the physic, use just mathematical
models based on an hypothetic theory of the world and, after a
mathematical computing, need an other sort of "proof":
compare the computed result with the observed facts."
Consider this example: The Turing test for Linguists

Let us assume that we give a person a dictionary or literature
from a present day language, say tamil or kannada.
Also give him/her a set of "rules".  Will it be possible for
him/her to recreate all the words of old tamil or kannada of
2000 years ago ?.
If this is possible, then I will accept that I am wrong, and so
called linguistic evidence CAN be used as the MAIN foundation
for reconstructing the history of a ancient civilization.

Subrahmanya