Linguists

wieson wieson at RAINBOW.CH
Sun Jan 18 09:33:16 UTC 1998

Strange, this is just the type of polemics I recently heard from a linguist
about Indologists!

By the way, one CAN prove - in as far as anything in the humanities is
"provable" - a linguistic theory in as far as one makes a hypothesis and
TESTS it. That is, many predictions, such as the laryngeal theory, were
made and thought through long before the data for Hittite were found, which
fit in very well with the theory. And one can base a hypothesis on data in
one area of grammar and find that it also fits in with data in another. The
theory of transitivity or the concept of grammatical relations are just two
areas where one can see different parts of the grammar acting in - dare I
say it - predictable ways. We linguists don't just sit around drinking
coffee and making up scientific fairy tales. And concensus is just as
important - but not more so - here as in other fields.

If this message was in response to a discussion (which I seem to have
missed) on an etymology, then I must add that Indo-European linguistics -
and historical linguistics in general - MOST CERTAINLY are provable, if
there's any substance behind them. This holds true for 'sound laws' as well
as for semantics and the entire process of grammaticalization, as we see
the same types of change over and over - this often tells us right at the
beginning of our research what "solutions" will undoubtedly lead us in the
wrong direction (thereby saving us a lot of "consensus-building").

May I ask what was the reason for this sudden attack on linguistics?

John Peterson