etymoogy of kuyava-

Bh. Krishnamurti bhk at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Sat Jan 17 15:02:44 UTC 1998

In my posting this morning there was a typo. Proto-Dravidian *(C)i/uC-a
became Proto-South Dravidian *(C)e/oC-a. I wrongly typed *(C)i/eC-a  for the
former. Please correct it. The Tamil word for potter is reconstructable to
*kucawa in Proto-South Dravidian. Old Tamil had both kucavan and kuyavan.See
DEDR (1984) entry 1762 The -c- form was older as in the case of PD*picar,
PSD *pecar, Old Kannada pesaru 'name', Ta. peyar, pe:r, Telugu pe:ru; Pkt.
sa:siram (< Skt. sahasra-), Ta. a:yiram, etc. Assuming that all non-SD
languages have lost the potter form, at the time of borrowing from Dravidian
during the Vedic period, the form should have been *kucawa[kusawa].. and not
*kuyawa. If RV kuya-va:k means mrdhrawa:k 'a person speaking unclear
language', a better Dravidian etymology would be *ku:y+awan_tu -->
kuyawan_tu 'a man who babbles, crows, cries, etc.' *ku:(y) occurs in all
soubroups of Dravidian (DEDR 1868; Skt. ku:jita- is said to have been
derived from Dravidian). DEDR 2177 *ko:'king, god', DEDR 2178 ko:(y)
'mountain' (~ku:y) are different etymologies.
I hope this will clarify the questions raised.
Bh. Krishnamurti
H.No. 12-13-1233, "Bhaarati"
Street No.9, Tarnaka
Hyderabad 500 017, A.P.
India
Telephone (R)(40)701 9665
E-mail: <bhk at hd1.vsnl.net.in>
Note:Please note what follows hd is digit 1 and not letter l.
In vsnl the final character is letter l and not digit 1.