Kotishila

Yigal Bronner yigal at MD2.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri Jan 16 02:11:40 UTC 1998

>If you kindly write more clearly what Jain Puranas
>are, and what you mean with Jain Ramayana and
>Mahabharata I may probably help you.

I am not particular about a definition of Jain Puranas--basically any
version of the lives of some or all of the 63 Zalaakapurushas, including
the last two sets among the nine sets of vasudevas, baladevas and
prativasudevas. These sets make for the heroes of the Jain Ramayanas and
Mahabharatas. In Jain Ramayanas, the set consists of Rama (Padma, Pauma)
Laksmana and Ravana, whose story is told in numerous versions beginning
with Vimalasuri's Paumacariya. The Mahabharata story usually centers more
on the exploits of Baladeva (Balarama), Krishna and Jarasandha than on the
Pandava-Kaurava conflict in texts such as the Harivamsapurana or the
Pandavacarita.
I am working on a poem by a Jain writer that connects both Laksmana and
Krshna to the story of lifting Kotishila, and I would like to know whether
or not the poet is drawing on earlier tradition, and how exactly the
traditional story goes.
Thanks for any tip or clue,
Yigal Bronner.