Deciphering the Indua valley script

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jan 15 09:26:59 UTC 1998

At 16:47 14.01.98 PST, you wrote:
>Dear List Members,
> Will somebody please point me to the latest in terms of decipherment of
>the Indus Valley Script? I would like to have your ides and opinions on
>the new( ~ 10 years old) theory about it's being related to Sanskrit.
>May I also request for references and papers on the latest status as
>regards the "Aryan Invasion Theory?"

Here are a few suggestions:

Asko Parpola, "Deciphering the Indus Script", Cambridge U.P. 1994, which was
reviewed in Frontline on Feb. 21 197.

Furthermore, Manohar some time ago sent two lists of books for and against
the "Aryan Invasion Theory" to Indology. They should be retrievable from the
Indology database.

Natwar Jha has attempted to interpret the Indus script language as Sanskrit.
> From what I have seen of his method, I am not very impressed. I don't think
many scholars in the West would accept the alleged relation to Sanskrit. But
this theory has a fair amount of adherents in India, I believe.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,