Indra and heat

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Sat Jan 10 17:15:55 UTC 1998

Not the same story but some common features:

- ambiguous relations between Indra and the mother
- weak role played by the father in the conception
- muliple birth (but just one hoped) of warriors
- importance of the tapas
- breaking something related to a womb (?)
- a ritual fault of the mother

Hence, perhaps a pattern transformation (?)
of the birth of the Maruts (bAl. of rAm.) ?
(remember the exit of kAzyapa (R.I,45.7):
ityuktvA sa tapase yayau)

And see the link between sesamum and dauhitra.

The role played by the tapas to obtain a birth
is a very common feature (probably because sperm = agni).
I'm not sure it is significant

Birth of the dhArtarASTrAs, gAndhArI hurting
his belly ? dubious, but ?

just a pattern, nothing else,
Dominique

PS1: I don't understand "laywoman", my English being
too poor: "laic jainist woman" (the story) ?
or "sensual one" (his name su-lasA) ?

PS2: in Greece, I have just a very far fact.
The "birth" of the Myrmidons is a gift of Zeus to Aiakos,
ants are like sesamum's seeds and I'm able to show
links between the Myrmidons and the Maruts.
Alas, no mother nor break in this story ;-(

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France