Uttara Kuru

Paul Kekai Manansala sac51900 at SACLINK.CSUS.EDU
Fri Jan 9 17:42:25 UTC 1998

  Erik Seldeslachts <erik.seldeslachts at RUG.AC.BE>
wrote:

> This is not entirely true. In Greek and Latin sources Uttarakuru is rendered Ottorokora (and
> variants). In the Geography of Ptolemy Ottorokora is a city, Ottorokoras is a river and
> Ottorokorai a people, all of them situated in the southern part of Serike. Serike, which is
> definitely not China as is often thought, included not only extensive parts of Central Asia
> including Tibet, but very probably also Assam and adjacent areas.
> The Attacori of Pliny might also refer to the Uttarakuru people and are explicitly identified
> by him with the Hyperboraeans. His description of their country as a valley secluded by
> mountains and enjoying a beneficial climate (like the Hyperboreans) as well as the rest of his
> geographical indications seem to me to point in the direction of Assam.

Interesting.  Buddhist legends state that the Buddha and early
Buddhists made pilgrimages to a lake in Uttarakuru that was
surrounded by five mountains.  One of these mountains was
Kailasa.  So that fits Pliny's description fairly well.

Also thanks for all the other contributions thus far.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala