Kashmiri Text of Gita

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Jan 6 17:48:46 UTC 1998

The "Kashmiri gita" which you have heard of is almost certainly the
following book:

Poojya Acharyashri Charantirtha Maharaj (Purvashram: Rajvaidya, Jivram
Kalidas Shastri), _Sri Bhagavad Gita: 745 Verses, Bhojapatri Gita. Gondal
Gita. First edition 1937 -- Latest edition 1990_ (Gondal: Shri
Bhuvaneshwari Prakashan, 1990).

You can probably get a copy by writing to Jivram's son, Ghanashyamji, who
runs the Bhuvaneshwari Pith in Gondal today.

Write to:

Bhuvaneshwari Prakashan
Ghanshyam Bhuvan,
Gondal,
India 360 311.

My copy of the book cost Rs. 50/-.

The manuscript on which this edition is based was part of the collection
of Jivram Kalidas Shastri, and was catalogued in _Catalogue & Index of
manuscripts: hastalikhita granthasuci_ published by the Shri Bhuvaneshwari
Pith, Gondal, in 1960.  The "Bhojapatropalikhita" Gita MS is described on
p.17.

This collection of MSS has been sold to the Gujarat State Govt. and
relocated in Jamnagar, where it is now housed in the library building of
the Gujarat Ayurvedic University (GAU).  I examined the abovementioned MS
some years ago, and in my opinion it is a modern manuscript (modern,
blocky-looking Devanagari on stuck-together, cut sheets of birch bark).

All the best,
Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk        Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk      183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England