kuyava in RV

Arlo Griffiths agriffit at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Jan 6 19:31:29 UTC 1998

A small addition to what Jan just said on kuyava: the Vaajasaneyi SaMhitaa
yajuS to which he refers occurs in the MS (2,11,4), KS (18,9), KapKS
(28,9) and TS (4,7,4,2) and the KANva recension (VSK 19,4,4) as well, and
with a variantin the TS the relevance of which I cannot judge: kUyavAs

Note also that a list of grains and other foodcrops (in fact one of the
longest ones I know of) follows in the same yajuS, and that the different
versions play around both with the order of the grains, and with that of
of the items akSiti and ku/Uyava/As.
        As to the fact that we would like to read akuyava: 'me' precedes
the word so abhinihita sandhi seems possible, also in biew of the
proximity of 'kSiti (WITH abhinihita sandhi). Mittwede ("Textkritische
Bemerkungen zur MaitrAyaNI SaMhitA") does not discuss this option,
however.

Arlo Griffiths