MacAuley's criticism of PurANic oceans

Bh. Krishnamurti bhk at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Jan 6 09:15:27 UTC 1998

At 11:42 05/01/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings.
>
>I have heard that MacAuley makes some critical remarks about the various
>oceans of ghee, liquor, etc. described in the PurANas.  Do you know in what
>publication he makes such statements?
>
>Thank you for your help.
>
>Chris Beetle

The reference occurs in Thomas Babington Macaulay's famous Minute on English
Education in India dated 2nd February 1835. You will find the Minute in the
collected works of Macaulay. It is true he made very derogatory remarks
about the contents of classical (Sanskrit) literature in India. We ignore
this arrogance born out of his ignorance. But the Minute is a brilliaant
document and is very prophetic. Regards.
Bh. Krishnamurti
Bh. Krishnamurti
H.No. 12-13-1233, "Bhaarati"
Street No.9, Tarnaka
Hyderabad 500 017, A.P.
India
Telephone (R)(40)701 9665
E-mail: <bhk at hd1.vsnl.net.in>
Note:Please note what follows hd is digit 1 and not letter l.
In vsnl the final character is letter l and not digit 1.