Switchover from palm leaves to paper

Ruth Laila Schmidt r.l.schmidt at EASTEUR-ORIENT.UIO.NO
Tue Jan 6 07:45:09 UTC 1998

Dear members of the list,

I wish to thank all the list members who provided useful information and
references on this subject! You have spared me days of floundering about in
the library.

With best wishes,

Ruth Schmidt

>Can anyone provide information about when manuscript copyists left off
>writing on palm leaves and began to write on paper? I am assuming (in all
>ignorance) that this occurred prior to the widespread adoption of the
>printing press, in preference to copying, but all corrections and
>references will be gratefully accepted.

Ruth Laila Schmidt
Dept of East European and Oriental Studies
University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1030 Blindern
N-0315 Oslo, Norway
Phone: (47) 22 85 55 86