Tantra texts/Woodroffe

Enrica Garzilli garzilli at SHORE.NET
Sun Jan 4 10:42:38 UTC 1998

Martin Gansten wrote:

> A friend interested in the Mahanirvanatantra just asked me:
>         (a) whether the translation by Sir John Woodroffe, alias Arthur
> Avalon, is acceptable by academic standards; and
>         (b) whether any other useful English translations exist.
> I regret to say that I could not answer either question. Could anyone on the
> list help?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Martin Gansten
> mgansten at sbbs.se

a) Like any other of his translation

b) See on the MNT my recently published paper "First Greek and Latin
Document on Sahagamana and Some Connected Problems", part 2,
*Indo-Iranian Journal*, No. 4, 1997. I also face the problem of the
recent fabrication of the text, of its "discovery", and of its
translations.
--
Dr. Enrica Garzilli             University of Perugia (ITALY)
Istituto di Linguistica                  Piazza Morlacchi, 11