periya tirumozi and irregular forms - tA, taru, and tar

Palaniappa Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 3 07:17:30 UTC 1998

In Dravidian, the hypothetical roots of tA, and vA are construed to be tar and
var respectively by some linguists. I have come across an instance in the
edition of nAlAyirattivviyappirapantam I have (periya tirumozi 1. 8) where we
find the form "tiritarvEn2" instead of "tiritaruvEn2". I do not know if this
is simply a printing error or indeed the correct reading of the poem. Can
anybody check their editions and tell me what the correct reading of this poem
is? Thanks in advance.

kaRRilEn2 kalaika Laimpulan2 karutum
      karuttuLE tiruttin2En2 man2attai,
peRRilE n2atan2Al pEtayEn2 nan2mai
      perunilat tAruyirk kellAm,
ceRRamE vENTit tiritarvEn2 tavirntEn2
      celkatik kuyyumA ReNNi,
naRRuNai yAkap paRRin2E n2aTiyEn2
      nArAya NAven2n2um nAmam

If this form tarvEn2 is found to be correct, then this is an important
finding.

Regards

S. Palaniappan