CSX fonts

Anshuman Pandey apandey at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sat Feb 28 05:40:45 UTC 1998

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Daniel Baum wrote:

> The solution in the end was to use the Washington Indic truetype font as a
> screen font, and then compile the document in TeX using the Washington Indic
> PK font. Surprisingly the two fonts are coded slightly differently; the
> a-acute is in a different place. I simply programmed a macro in my text
> editor to do a search and replace before I compile the TeX file, and another
> afterwards. I will definitely have a look at the alternative TeX fonts you
> suggested, although I've never used .vf fonts before; is there anything  I
> should know before I start?

The reason the TrueType font differs from the METAFONT is because certain
character positions are rejected or reserved in Windows, so any character
appearing in that position will appear empty. Tom Ridgeway, who made the
WNRI TrueType and Postscript fonts, made copies of certain characters in
duplicate positions to account for this behavior of Windows. These WNRI
fonts really need to be revamped.

Here's another suggestion: Move completely over to TeX and your problems
will be solved! Ask anyone... :-P

Regards,
Anshuman Pandey