Introducing Academy of Sanskrit Research (fwd)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Fri Feb 27 12:45:52 UTC 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:50:30 +0530 (IST)
From: Academy of Sanskrit Research <asrbng at blr.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Introducing Academy of Sanskrit Research

Academy of Sanskrit Research
Melkote - 571 431
Karnataka, India Tel:(0821)38741,38781(O) 38742®

	Around 60 kilometers north-east of Mysore city in the State of
Karnataka is to be found a hilly tract comprising some of the oldest rock
formations on the earths crust. Nestling in the heart of these hills lies
the temple town of Melkote. The origins of the town ae lost in antiquity,
but it rose to cultural and religious importance in the 12th AD when the
great South Indian philosopher and teacher, Sri Ramanuja lived in the
town for twelve years.

	Today life in Melkote revolves around the Cheluvanarayanaswamy
temple within the township and the Yoganarasimhaswamy temple on the hill
overlooking Melkote. These temples are repositories of Melkotes living
tradition as well as storehouses of academic knowledge of our culture.
Thus, as part of the temple precincts is the oldest Sanskrit Pathashala
in India, dating back to 1853, imparting regular instruction in Sanskrit
and Indian philosophy.

	One of the best-preserved towns, Melkote is unique in that it has
retained its traditional character over the centuries. Historical studies
have shown relatively little change in the plan of the town, the type and
character of dwellings and its cultural practices.in this sense, a visit
to Melkote or Tirunarayanapuram (as it is also called) is a unique
experience of our own cultural heritage in its living form.

	The essence of Indian philosophical as well as religious thought
comes alive in the temples of Melkote where the temple rituals and
festivals involve many, if not most of the towns population. Some of the
more important annual festivals such as the Vairamudi Utsava, Teppotsava
and the birthday or Tirunakshatram celebrations of importand saints are
occasions which bring all the people of the town together. Indeed Melkote
is unique in that certain fold festivals such as the Angamani festival
have been integrated into the temple rituals, thus making them meaningful
to the common man.

	It is a matter of general serious concern in India that with the
rapid pace of social and economic change, our ancient wisdom and culture
is in danger of being lost.

	The increasing impact of the mass media as the main source of
knowledge and entertainment is likely to further contribute to this and
the next generation may well lose contact completely with the well
springs of our past.

	The Academy of Sanskrit Research was set up in Melkote in 1978
with the specific aim of promoting serious acholarship in Indian
philosophy, particularly the Vedantic systems, by seeking to blend modern
research methods with the traditional approach to these subjects. As an
additional aim, the Academy also intends to embark on a systematic
programme for making specific areas of Indian philosophy more accessible
to the layman and in general promoting a serious awareness of our culture
to all those whoa may be interested in it, but lack guidance in this
respect. Thus the Academy intends to link the invaluable knowledge
contained in our ancient texts to the contexts of modern living and also
use this as a foundation for suggesting ways and means of meeting the
social dominate societies of the futute.

	Set in a beautiful, sylvan campus of 14 acres at the Southern end
of Melkote town, the Academy has re-created a gurukula like atmosphere
for its 20 full-time traditional and modern research scholars who are
also training 22 external students of the Academy. A library with over
2f2,000 volumes is a part of the facilities. Palm-leaf manuscripts are
being collected, listed and scientifically preserved. Research work
includes the kriya project where, in a fully equipped computer lab, work
is being done on developing Sanskrit as a natural language for semantic
processing. The Academy has aslo published several works on Upanisad
Bhasyas, Sutra Bhasyas and conducts several seminars each year on topics
covering a wide range of Vedantic thought and their applications to
modern living.

	The Academy intends to shortly embark on a programme where it
will serve as a source point of Indian culture and philosophy to all
persons who may desire such a service. To this end, the Academy will
guide people to the appropriate publications in their specific areas of
interest, assist in procuring these works if required, and bring our
popular works written by eminent persons on various aspects of Indian
philosophy for the layman. Also on the anvil are services designed to
provide interested persons with audio and video recordings of important
religious festivals and traditional oral works complete with descriptive
commentaries which will serve as important archival materials for
universities, while at the same time representing a very valuable
educative tool for the interested lay person.

	In order to proceed with these tasks, the Academy requires funds.
The current financial grants from governmental bodies are handy
sufficient to even maintain the existing work of the Academy. Any
expansion of its activity to carry out the vital tasks describedc above
will need financial support from the community of donors and from
philanthropic institutions. We have devised schemes (described below) for
accepting contributions from individuals like you, who share our concern
for the necessity of such work, as undertaken by the Academy. In all
cases as you can see, the Academy, in return, intends providing you with
certain useful services.

CONTRIBUTION SCHEMES:
1. Patrons:		Persons and organisations who donate
Rs.10,00,000/- or more.
2. Donors:		Persons and organisations who pay Rs. 2,00,000/-
or more.
3. Life Members:	Persons and organisations who pay Rs.1,00,000/-
or more.
4.Others:
(a) Individuals:
1. Rs 5,000/-per year for 5 years or US $ 200 per year for 5 years if not
a Indian resident.
2. Rs 4,000/-per year for 5 years or US $ 150 per year for 5 years if not
a Indian resident.
3. Rs 3,000/-per year for 5 years or US $ 100 per year for 5 years if not
a Indian resident.
4. Rs 2,000/-per year for 5 years or US $ 75 per year for 5 years if not
a Indian resident.
5. Rs 1,000/-per year for 5 years or US $ 50 per year for 5 years if not
a Indian resident.
(b) Organisations:
1. Rs 15,000/- per year for 5 years or $ 500 per year for 5 years if a
foreign institution

SERVICE PROVIDED:

	Assistance for visiting students and research scholars by way of
academic teaching, access to library and hostel facilities at the
Academy, in addition to providing the services listed below for all
individuals.
1. Regular mailing of Academy Newsletter.
2. Sourcing of books of special interest to the contributor.
3. Listing popular publications on Indian thought and philosophy and
mailing updates to contributors regularly.
4. All printed as well as audio and video publicatons of the Academy ot
be made available to contributors at subsidised prices.
5. Knowledge imparted by way of special workshops to contributors or
their nominees on aspects of philosophy.

	The above is a very partial list of services, the scope of which
is beyond this rather brief introduction. We would request you to kindly
write to us immediately with your acceptance of any of the schemes above,
and we will respond very soon with a complete listing of our services.
Please also indicate in your letter your special areas of interest in
Indian philosophy and culture. This information of your interest areas
will be recorded by us in our contrubutor database at the Academy, thus
allowing us provide our services to you with your preferences in mind.

	Your values support is more necessary than ever to help the
Academy carry out it s important mission. All contributions to the
Academy may kindly be made our by cheque or bank draft in fvour of the
Director, Academy of Sanskrit Research, Melkote.please also note that
such contributins are exempt from Income Tax under Section 35(1)(iii) of
the Income Tax Act,1961.