more on vada / vadin

Roland Steiner steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Mon Feb 23 09:12:41 UTC 1998

On 21 Feb 98 at 15:13, Birgit Kellner wrote:

> (1) I suppose Sasaki has taken note of the relevant section (or one
> of the relevant sections) in the Mahaavyutpatti, where, judging from
> the viewpoint of Tibetan and Chinese translations, an
> "anything-goes"-style approach seems to have been taken. MVy 9077
> aaryasarvaastivaadaah. (plural!) has the Tibetan equivalent 'phags
> pa thams cad yod par smra ba (In the BHS-dictionnary, Edgerton uses
> this as evidence for the lemma "sarvaastivada, m.pl.(!), 'n. of
> school'"). The plural in MVy 9078 muulasarvaastivaadaah., on the
> other hand, is translated with Tib. _gzhi thams cad yod par smra
> ba'i sde_ (=school!). In each of these cases, the Chinese has TWO
> equivalents each, one as "school" and one as "person". Several other
> entries of this section have Tibetan translations of _smra ba'i sde_
> for _-vaadinah._ (the Chinese alternates between "school" and
> "person); and _sde_ is also affixed to other plural expressions for
> persons, e.g. Abhayagirivaasinah., Jetavaniiyaah.,
> Mahaavihaaravaasinah., etc. See also S'iks.asamuccaya 148.13
> _-vaadaanaam_ (ed. Bibliotheca Buddhica), where Bendall suggests
> reading _-vaadinaam._, and gives the Tibetan as _'phags pa thams cad
> yod par smra ba rnams kyi_ ...

The new critical edition of the Mahaavyutpatti (ed. by Yumiko
Ishihama and Yoichi Fukuda, Tokyo: The Toyo Bunko 1989, Materials for
Tibetan and Mongolian Dictionaries 1) gives the following
relevant readings for the Tibetan:

No. 9014 (= No. 9077 ed. Sakaki): 'phags pa thams cad yod par smra
<ba´i sde D[erge]C[hone] / ba P[eking]N[arthang]L[eningrad Ms]>

No. 9015 (= No. 9078 ed. Sakaki): gzhi thams cad yod par smra ba'i
sde

No. 9022 (= No. 9085 ed. Sakaki): 'phags pa kun gyis bkur <ba'i
sde LDCN / ba P>

No. 9026 (= No. 9089 ed. Sakaki): dge 'dun phal chen <pa'i sde DC /
pa PN / po L>

No. 9032 (= No. 9095 ed. Sakaki): 'phags pa gnas brtan <pa'i sde DC /
pa PNL>

Judging from this, it seems at least to be questionable whether the
Tibetans have actually taken an  "anything-goes"-style approach in
that case.

Best regards,
Roland Steiner

--