-vada / -vadin

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at PWYZ.RHEIN.DE
Wed Feb 18 20:43:37 UTC 1998

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, L.S.Cousins wrote:

> I wish someone would make a handlist of the names of Buddhist sects
> occurring in inscriptions to update Lamotte's avowedly incomplete
> list.  It would be extremely useful.  Actually, it's the sort of
> thing that would be well-done on the Net, perhaps as a collective
> effort.

There is already a Japanese work:
        Shizutani, Masao: Indo bukkyo himei mokuroku.
        Kyoto : Heirakuji shoten, 1979
        (Catalogue of Indian Buddhist inscriptions)

It is said to contain a comprehensive (but not exhaustive) list
of inscriptions. It was unavailable in the German interlibrary
system, so I haven't seen it directly, though. In the late
eighties I contacted a bookseller in Tokyo who gave me the
information that it is out of print.

Perhaps it may serve as a good starting point -- even if one does
not read Japanese.

All the best
Peter

Peter Wyzlic                                    pwyzlic at pwyz.rhein.de