negations and their names

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Feb 16 18:25:31 UTC 1998

I have not come across the term paryudAsa-pratizedha in my reading of
Sanskrit texts.  The etymology of the word paryudAsa makes it clear that
it refers to exclusion of an item.  At least in the discussions in the
Sanskrit grammatical texts, it is clear that cases of paryudAsa have a
positive meaning: abrAhmaNam Anaya "bring someone other than a Brahmin",
and this does not end with "do not bring a Brahmin".  Within the context
of Panini's rules, an expression like abrAhmaNa refers to someone other
than a Brahman, but someone who is similar to a Brahman in other respects
(cf. na~nivyuktam anyasadRSAdhikaraNe, Panini), e.g. a Kshatriya etc.
Cases of prasajyapratizedha on the other hand result in a negative result:
do not do something or other, kriyayA saha yatra na~n.
                                                Madhav Deshpande