-vada / -vadin

Richard Salomon rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sun Feb 15 18:58:34 UTC 1998

Jonathan et al.:

In inscriptions, we find both sarvaasti-vaada- and -vaadin- to refer to
adherents (usually "aacaarya-s") of the school.  The former occurs, for
example, in the Mathura lion capital (Konow CII II.2, line A-15 and J-3)
and the Kurram casket ins. (ibid. p.11, line 1C).  I haven't checked this
point extensively, but I would expect that inscriptions would be useful in
clearing up (or perhaps rather in further confusing) this issue.

RS