Origin of Dravidian languages

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Wed Feb 11 19:42:59 UTC 1998

2/11/98

K. Zvelebil, The Smile of Murugan - On Tamil literature
of South India. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1973

The Chart I in page 9 is reproduced below:

               *******
               *TAMIL*
               *******
inscriptions                      literature
Early Tamil Brahmi               I. The "Urtext"
(Damili)                         of the Tolkaappiyam, ie.,
inscriptions,                    the two first sections,
3-1 cent, B.C.                   EzuttatikAram and
(Asokan Brahmi                   CollatikAram minus later
introduced ca. 250 B.C           interpolations, ca. 100 B.C.
into the Tamil country           II. The earliest strata of
and adapted between              bardic poetry in the
250-200 B.C. to Tamil).          so-called CaGkam anthologies,
                                 ca. I cent. B.C. - 2 cent. A.D.

               *********
               *KANNADA*
               *********
inscriptions                      literature
ca. 450 A.D.                     beginnings in the 6-7
                                 cent. A.D. (lost)
                                 Nrpatunga's
                                 Kaviraajamaarga
                                 (ca.850 A.D.)

               *******
               *TELUGU*
               *******
inscriptions                      literature
ca. 633 A.D.                     beginnings in te 7-9
                                 cent. A.D. (lost)
                                 Nannayya's translation
                                 of the Mahabharata
                                 (11 Cent.)

               ***********
               *Malayalam*
inscriptions                      literature
close of 9. cent.                Raamacaritam
(Kottayam plates of              of Ciiraaman
Sthaanu Ravi),                   (13-14. cent. A.D.)
Chokur inscriptions,             Unnuniili Sandesam
ca. 925 AD.                      (anon.), 14. Cent. A.D.)

Regards,
N. Ganesan