Rgvedic RbIsa

Jan E.M. Houben JHOUBEN at RULLET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Fri Feb 6 13:39:24 UTC 1998

I thank al those who reacted to my question regarding RbIsa and vulcanic clefts
"from which hot vapours arise". The reactions strengthened me in my belief that
such clefts did not occur in the area of the Rgvedic authors. Aklujkar's
suggestion and the Iranian connection is to be investigated further, as also
the suggestion in Falk's Bruderschaft p. 181 regarding the RNakuNDa on the
basis of a vAdhUla-passage (especially now that new manuscriptmaterial on
vAdhUla has been found). I am not aware of a word arbIsa in Zrautatexts, only
of the compound RbIsa-pakva, e.g. ApZS 5.25.6 RbIsapakvaM nAZnIyAt.
JH.