Tamil words in English

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Thu Feb 5 22:37:28 UTC 1998

Some Tamil words that have entered English.

English   Tamil
***************
corundum < kuruntam
betel < veRRilai (spoken tamil word is vettilai)
areca < aTaikkaay
beryl < veLiRu
patchouli < paccilai
cot < kaTTu
orange < nAraGkaay
copra < koppaRai
coir < kayaRu
jackfruit < cakkaip pazam
teak < tEkku
mulligatawny < miLakuttaNNiir
catamaran < kaTTumaram
cash < kAcu
ginger < iJci
Pariah < paRaiyan
koel < kuyil
mango < mAGkaay
anicut < aNaikkaTTu
curry < kaRi
coolie < kUli
kangany < kaNkaaNi
cheroot < curuTTu

Got these by searching Microsoft's Bookshelf.I am not a linguist.
Any additions or corrections? Interested
to know words of Dravidian words in English. Is there some good
dictionary of English available where we can search a keyword
like Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Tulu, Kannada, Dravidian in that database

Are rice and tamil 'arici' related?

Vaguely remember a book by Subbarao, Indian words in English.
Any bibliographical info is welcome.

N. Ganesan