The cat

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Feb 2 21:08:07 UTC 1998

The version of the story of the mongoose that is found in the HitopadeSa
(Lanman, Sanskrit Reader, p. 44) reads: cirakAlapAlitam imam
putranirviSezam nakulam ...  Besides the animals Thrasher refers to, even
trees are often treated in the same way by those who raise them.  This is
seen in KalidAsa's Shakuntalam, cf. verse: pAtum na prathamam vyavasyati
jalam yuzmAsv apItezu yA ... etc.  RaghuvamSa of Kalidasa describes a
DevadAru tree as having been adopted as a child by Shiva and Parvati: amum
puraH paSyasi devadArum putrIkRto'sau vRzabhadhvajena, yo
hemakumbhastananiHsRtAnAm skandasya mAtuH payasAm rasaj~naH.
                Madhav Deshpande